Results tagged ‘ Yankees ’
Here’s a quick update on the players that the Yankees have officially signed from the 2014 First-Year Player Draft:
2B Ty McFarland, James Madison University (10th round, #302), RHP Matthew Borens, Eastern Illinois University (11th round, #332), 1B Bo Thompson, The Citadel (13th round, #392), RHP Joe Harvey, University of Pittsburgh (19th round, #572), C Collin Slaybaugh, Washington State University (26th round, #782), OF Griffin Gordon, Jacksonville State University (27th round, #812), RHP Matt Wotherspoon, University of Pittsburgh (34th round, #1022), 2B Ryan Lindemuth, The College of William & Mary (37th round, #1112), RHP Andre Del Bosque, University of Houston-Victoria (38th round, #1142).
As Lou DiPietro runs down over at YESNetwork.com, the Yankees are making progress with several of their top picks. That group includes second-round left-hander Jacob Lindgren, who has indicated that he intends to sign and is traveling to Tampa for his physical.
“Everybody dreams of playing for the New York Yankees, wear the pinstripes, and it’s just kind of a dream come true,” Lindgren said on a conference call last week. “I never really thought I’d have this opportunity, especially with the Yankees.”
General manager Brian Cashman has indicated that Lindgren would begin his professional career at Class-A Charleston once his deal is complete.
Various reports also have indicated that the Yankees will sign third round right-hander Austin DeCarr, fourth round left-hander Jordan Montgomery and fifth round right-hander Jordan Foley.
The Yankees have also made the following post-draft free agent signings: C Jake Hernandez (University of Southern California), RHP Travis Hissong (Wright State University), and RHP Matt Marsh (Liberty University).
Shawn Kelley will return to the Yankees bullpen tonight. Kelley has not pitched in a big league game since May 6 due to a lumbar spine strain, but has re-joined the Yankees in Seattle and has been activated from the disabled list.
In a corresponding roster move, the Yankees optioned right-hander Matt Daley to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
Also prior to tonight’s game, the Yankees acquired left-hander David Huff from the San Francisco Giants in exchange for cash considerations. Huff, a familiar face who was with the Yanks last year, will be used as a multi-inning reliever. Left-hander Wade LeBlanc was designated for assignment.
There’s plenty to go over from last night’s 5-1 Yankees loss to the Red Sox, which will be remembered as the game that Michael Pineda was ejected in the second inning for having pine tar on the right side of his neck.
As we’ve covered in several other stories on MLB.com, Pineda felt that he was having trouble controlling the ball after allowing two first-inning runs on a cold night. He said that he applied the pine tar before the second inning, even though the Yankees had several conversations with him about the issue following the April 10 incident against the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium.
Several members of the Red Sox said that the issue really wasn’t that Pineda used pine tar to help his control – it’s in violation of Rule 8.02, but it’s something that happens widely in the game, and hitters would prefer that the pitcher knows where the ball is going. The problem was that he was so blatant about it, essentially forcing John Farrell’s hand. There was no way the Red Sox could ignore it; Farrell even said before the game that if Pineda used pine tar, he just hoped it would be a little more discreet.
Pineda was apologetic after the game, manager Joe Girardi was mostly supportive of what he called “bad judgment” on Pineda’s part, and pitching coach Larry Rothschild seemed to be a bit mystified how it had all happened. General manager Brian Cashman offered the most unvarnished take, which we’ll provide a deeper look into right here:
Your reaction to the ejection? “We certainly are responsible, and there’s certainly failure on our part as an organization as a whole that he took the field in the second inning with that on his neck. He’s responsible for his actions, but we failed as an organization for somehow him being in that position. I don’t know how — none of us right now, we’re scratching our head right now, how that took place.”
Was there a conversation with him? “I think it’s probably best to not comment on that, but clearly what took place in the second inning should not be taking place.”
Are you angry with Pineda? “I think we’re all embarrassed. We as a group are embarrassed that this has taken place. I think Michael’s embarrassed. I think we’re embarrassed that somehow he took the field with that in the position like that. It’s just obviously a bad situation, and it clearly forced the opponents’ hand to do something that I’m sure they didn’t want to do, but they had no choice but to do. Obviously we’ll deal with the ramifications of that now.”
Are you more likely to check Red Sox pitchers now? “It’s not anything that’s on our mind. Listen, I would want our manager to do what John Farrell did. I would want, on behalf of our fan base and our team, to do the same thing that they did. Obviously this is a terrible situation that we all witnessed and we’re all a part of and we all have ownership to because there was clearly a failure and a breakdown that he wound up walking out of that dugout with something like that. It’s just not a good situation.”
Why didn’t you know? “I think with television. With television I think the Red Sox probably saw it just like we saw it, but he was already on the field. He didn’t have it in the first inning. He had it in the second inning. There wasn’t anything there in the first inning. He walked out of the dugout in the second inning with it on, and I think by the time everybody saw what was going on, it was too late.”
Did you see it before the umpires? “I personally got a phone call from people watching the game on TV like, ‘Hey, I don’t know what’s going on, but something looks (off).’ So I got out of the stands, walked in, but by the time I made it from the stands in here it was too late.”
Is the problem that he used it or that it was so obvious? “It’s against the rules, let’s leave it at that.”
How could it be so blatant? “We are all responsible. He did what he did, but we are all responsible that he got out of our dugout and was on the field in that manner. We’re all responsible for that situation. Don’t misunderstand that we are a part of putting something on him and stuff like that, but clearly we all have ownership of the fact that that never should have happened.”
Was he told not to do it? “There have been enough conversations. And obviously there will be more now, or there have already been more now, even in-game when he was ejected from the game. I think after the last go-around with the same team, clearly there were a lot of conversations about this. There are no secrets there.”
Should the rule be changed? “That’s for another day. Those are what the rules are that are currently in play. Bottom line is that it’s against the rules, and now we will deal with the consequences.”
Do you expect a suspension? “Yes.”
Your message to Yankees fans? “This is not something that we’re proud to be sitting in, and we’re certainly embarrassed. When he took the field in the second inning, that should never have taken place.”
Big league baseball and the crew from TV’s “Ace of Cakes” will collide this summer in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, as fans of both the Yankees and Orioles will come together to support their teams, flex their cake-decorating prowess and have a crack at some terrific prizes.
The event is being held to benefit the YAI Network, a not-for-profit group which helps people with developmental disabilities in New York and in many other cities.
I was able to help out last season with a David Cone charity event at Foley’s NY, and it was a great time for everyone involved. I hope you’ll be able to swing by and spread the word to help make this summer’s event just as great of a success! Here’s what you need to know:
Sunday, July 13 at 11:00 a.m. ET
(Prior to the Yankees-Orioles 8:05 p.m. ET game at Camden Yards)
Who: Mary Smith from TV’s “Ace of Cakes” (plus a surprise guest judge!)
What: A cake decorating course designed for diehard baseball fans
Where: Charm City Cakes (2936 Remington Ave., Baltimore, MD)
When: Sunday, July 13 at 11:00 a.m. (class lasts approx. 2 1/2 hours)
Why: To raise money for YAI Network, an award-winning, nationally acclaimed network of not-for-profit health and human services agencies dedicated to building brighter futures for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities of all ages and their families.
Check out www.YAI.org for more information.
**Our special guest judge will award a pair of tickets to the 8:05 p.m. game at Camden Yards (with field passes for batting practice) to the decorators of their favorite Orioles and Yankees-themed cakes**
For more info, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org … There are only 40 spots on the roster, so sign up today!
A portion of the proceeds to benefit YAI Network’s Manhattan Day Hab, a Yankees HOPE Week honoree
The Yankees have designated Eduardo Nunez for assignment, and that’s the 40-man move to add Yangervis Solarte to their roster. Nunez will now be exposed to waivers, and a trade could very well be in the works.
Here’s Brian Cashman’s explanation of the move:
“Tough call, but he’s the way I went. It’s just a tough call. We thought through a lot of other different permutations but I think it’s best for right now to give him a new fresh start and we’ll see where that takes him. We’re allotted 10 days to make an assignment of his contract, so stay tuned.”
In response to a follow-up question about what the Yankees did not see from Nunez this spring, Cashman said:
“In this most recent spring, he had a good spring but we had other guys that had better ones. He possesses a great deal of talent and you can dream on him – and we have – as a potential every day shortstop in the big leagues. All that talent is still there and I think his versatility does provide for a great deal of choices as a player on a Major League roster. We’ll see what develops in the next 10 days.
“Obviously when we had him coming up through the system, he was someone that projected to be utilized as an everyday player in the big leagues. At 27 years old, that doesn’t mean that can’t still happen. We had that hope that maybe he could develop into something like that as a choice, and at worst a player that the manager in the Major Leagues could utilize different ways. Right now, we’re going to go a different direction and we wish him the best as we look through the next 10 days of making some decisions. So we’ll see.”
And on Nunez’s future as a Major League player, Cashman said:
“I know he wants to be in the big leagues, no question about it. He wants to be playing in the big leagues. I can understand that. It’s less to do with Eduardo and as much to do with what Dean Anna and Solarte showed this spring. Listen, we were fortunate to have everybody come into Spring Training on the infield side and do very well. It put a wrinkle in our decision-making process, and so here we are. These guys have provided us with choices, so we made those choices. It’s more about what Anna and Solarte showed, and not necessarily as much about Eduardo. We try to celebrate what those guys did in the competition rather than what Nuney didn’t.”