Results tagged ‘ Robinson Cano ’
MLB.com’s Mark Newman has passed along some quotes from Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano, who appeared this afternoon at a Victoria’s Secret VS PINK event in Soho.
Having announced his new partnership with CAA and Jay-Z’s Roc Nation venture, Cano was asked: is he ready to celebrate?
“Not yet,” Cano said, with a grin. “We’ve got to focus on the games first and then we’ll celebrate, how about that? Yes, I’m excited, of course. When you make that kind of a decision, you have to really be with that kind of company.”
Cano was then asked if today’s news means he will stay with the Yankees, but said: “Right now, this is about Victoria’s Secret and not about contracts.”
VS model Jessica Hart, who was standing next to Cano at the time, said, “He’s diverting questions very well. I should take some lessons – you’ve been trained.”
Cano offered a terse “no” when asked if he would comment on Boras reportedly being caught unaware of his decision to switch agencies. Cano is expected to address his choice in more detail tomorrow at Yankee Stadium.
One day after general manager Brian Cashman revealed the Yankees have made “a significant offer” that could keep Robinson Cano in pinstripes, the All-Star second baseman said that he had little more to add to the discussion.
Cano said that he wants to let his agent, Scott Boras, handle any and all negotiations with the Yankees. The 30-year-old Cano is earning $15 million this year and can be a free agent after the season.
“I’m going to say the same thing that I said the other day, I’m just focused on playing baseball,” Cano said on Friday. “I’m going to let Scott and the Yankees discuss that. I’m not an agent. I’m just going to focus on playing baseball.”
Cano refused comment when asked if he and Boras had rejected the Yankees’ offer.
Boras told CBS Sports on Thursday that, by agreement, discussions with the Yankees “shall remain confidential” and “will cease if they are a distraction to Robinson’s performance and leadership of the 2013 Yankees.”
Cano said that he has not found the discussions to be a distraction as he goes through Spring Training. He is preparing to leave Yankees camp on Sunday to report for workouts with the Dominican Republic’s World Baseball Classic squad.
“Like I said, I’m just going to focus on baseball and not let anything get in my head and distract not only me, but the team,” Cano said. “I don’t want to be a selfish guy. I just want to help the team win another championship and just prepare myself to help the team win another championship.”
It has been speculated that Cano could seek an eight to 10 year contract in the arena of $25 million per season he reaches free agency. Cano acknowledged that it can be difficult at times not to think about his contract status.
“It’s never going to go out of your head, that’s all I can say,” Cano said.
Cano said that he would let Boras decide about contract negotiations being cut off if, in fact, they do become a distraction.
“I don’t want to talk about this,” Cano said. “I hope after today, I don’t want to be a distraction to the team. I just want to come here, enjoy the team and focus on playing baseball.”
TAMPA, Fla. — The Yankees have made a “significant offer” to Robinson Cano, according to general manager Brian Cashman, hoping to lock the All-Star second baseman into a contract extension before he reaches free agency.
Cashman confirmed on Thursday that an offer has been presented to Cano and agent Scott Boras. There have been negotiations between the two sides in recent weeks, but Cashman declined to comment further on the state of the talks.
Earlier this month, Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner had said the team was “willing to consider a significant long-term contract” to keep Cano in pinstripes, but Steinbrenner did not publicly acknowledge an actual offer had been made.
“I thought Hal announced that we made a significant offer, and we’ve had a few conversations,” Cashman said. “I thought I was restating Hal’s stuff. If I said a little more, that’s all I’m saying.”
Cashman would not say when the offer was made, or if it has been rejected by Cano and Boras.
Cano, 30, is entering his final season under contract with the Yankees after his $15 million club option was picked up in October. A two-time Gold Glover and four-time Silver Slugger, Cano batted .313 with a career-high 33 homers and 94 RBIs last year.
The move represents a departure from the normal stance of the Yankees, who have waited for contracts to expire before opening negotiations on a new deal, as they have done with shortstop Derek Jeter and closer Mariano Rivera in recent years.
“Usually it’s applying to older guys – [age] 37, 38, 39,” Cashman said. “We have a policy. Since we’re the team, we have the right to change our minds: especially ownership.”
Boras typically prefers to bring his clients to the open free agent market, and it has been speculated that Cano could seek a contract of eight to 10 years at $20 to $25 million per season if he reaches free agency.
Cano has said numerous times that he does not want to discuss his next contract at this point of the year.
“It’s not about the money, but like I’ve said, I don’t want to go into details right now,” Cano said recently. “I’m just focused on playing the game and just helping the team win another championship.”
Cashman pointed out that the Yankees have made extension offers before deals expire in the past; New York reportedly offered catcher Russell Martin a three-year, $20 million deal last March, which was rejected.
“It’s not like it’s a country club, and here’s the code of conduct that you can’t deviate from,” Cashman said. “We’ve had a history of doing things a certain way, but that doesn’t mean you have to do it that way every day.
“Whatever conversations and however you want to define them with Robbie, it isn’t something new or different, because we did it with Russell last March.”
We haven’t heard much from Hal Steinbrenner of late, but the Yankees managing general partner offered his first public comments of the offseason yesterday, saying that the organization’s commitment to winning has not wavered and that the club is not finished adding players for 2013.
Steinbrenner spoke to reporters from the New York Post and The Wall Street Journal on Thursday in Paradise Valley, Ariz., as he exited the Major League Baseball Owners Meetings, and he painted a positive picture concerning the Yankees’ winter work thus far.
“We’ve signed three or four of the biggest free agents on the market. We’re pretty happy with that,” Steinbrenner said. “It’s great to have Andy [Pettitte] back and [Hiroki] Kuroda and Ichiro [Suzuki]. [Kevin] Youkilis, I’m excited about. I’ve always liked him as a player. We’ve got some work to do, still. We need another bat. We’re not done yet.”
The Yankees are in the market for a right-handed hitter who can play the outfield; Washington’s Michael Morse is one potential target, as they’ve touched base with the Nationals to express their interest. Free agent Scott Hairston also remains available and is reportedly deciding between the Yankees and Mets.
Steinbrenner added that the Yankees have not opened negotiations on contract extensions for second baseman Robinson Cano or manager Joe Girardi, and reiterated the team’s intention of reducing payroll below $189 million for 2014. Steinbrenner also said that it is possible the Yankees will remain under that payroll figure in subsequent seasons. Check out the rest of the story here.
This isn’t exactly breaking news, but agent Scott Boras confirmed today that Robinson Cano will not engage the Yankees in discussions about a possible contract extension until after the 2013 season.
“I think the Yankee policy is very clear, that they always walk through the contracts and then address them when they end, as they did with [Derek] Jeter and other players,” Boras said. ” … We just will get him ready to play the season, play out the season, and then evaluate things at the end of ’13.”
It has been reported that Cano could be in position to seek as much as a 10-year deal, and as an elite second baseman, he figures to have no shortage of possible suitors on the open market (hello, Dodgers?) — a fact the Yankees are well aware of.
Boras said that he has spoken recently with general manager Brian Cashman and team president Randy Levine, but not about Cano.
“Obviously I’ve had meetings with Cash and Randy during the course of the offseason and we’ve been talking about the development of the team,” Boras said. “Since Robinson is already signed, there hasn’t been any conversation about it.”
Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano has been announced as a finalist for the 2012 AL MVP Award by the Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA). The announcement was made tonight exclusively on MLB Network.
Cano joins four other finalists for the AL MVP Award, including Texas Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre, Detroit Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera, Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim outfielder Mike Trout.
(I expect to see the award go to Cabrera; a Triple Crown season is pretty difficult to ignore, wouldn’t you agree? It’s really a two-man race between Cabrera and Trout anyway.)
BBWAA secretary-treasurer Jack O’Connell will announce the winner of the 2012 AL MVP Young Award on Thursday, November 15 at 6:00 p.m. ET exclusively on MLB Network. Here’s a full rundown of this year’s BBWAA candidates.
Three members of the 2012 Yankees have been nominated as finalists for Rawlings Gold Glove Awards, as voted upon by Major League managers and coaches — Russell Martin, Robinson Cano and Mark Teixeira.
The winners will be announced during the 2012 Rawlings Gold Glove Award® Announcement Show on Tuesday, October 30, 2012, at 9pm ET on ESPN2.
Martin is listed among the catchers with the Tigers’ Alex Avila, the White Sox’s A.J. Pierzynski and the Orioles’ Matt Wieters.
Teixeira’s competition is at first base with Adrian Gonzalez, nominated for his time with the Red Sox, and the Royals’ Eric Hosmer.
Cano will contend at second base with Boston’s Dustin Pedroia and the Mariners’ Dustin Ackley.
NEW YORK – The Yankees announced on Monday that they have chosen to exercise 2013 contract options for second baseman Robinson Cano, outfielder Curtis Granderson and right-handed reliever David Aardsma.
The options on Cano and Granderson are worth $15 million each, while Aardsma’s option is worth $500,000. None of the three choices were considered to be especially surprising decisions for the Yankees.
Cano batted .313 with a career-high 33 home runs and 94 RBIs in 161 regular season games before fading in the postseason as the Yankees were swept in four games by the Tigers in the American League Championship Series.
The 30-year-old Cano has compiled eight straight seasons of at least 150 hits to begin his career. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it marks the longest streak since the Cubs’ Ryne Sandberg did so in 10 straight seasons beginning in 1983.
Granderson led the Yankees with his career-high 43 home runs during the regular season, batting .232 with 102 runs scored and 106 RBIs in 160 games. He also set a new Yankees franchise record with 195 strikeouts, surpassing his own club record of 169 set in 2011.
The 30-year-old Granderson leads the Major Leagues with 84 home runs since the start of the 2011 season and is just the third Yankees player to record consecutive seasons (2011-12) with at least 100 runs, 40 homers and 100 RBIs, joining Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.
Aardsma, 30, appeared in one September game for the Yankees after spending most of the season recovering from Tommy John surgery. The former big league closer could figure prominently in the Yankees’ bullpen plans next season.
The Yankees are expected to consider contract extensions for Cano and Granderson at some point in the future.
Robinson Cano is going to have an X-ray performed on his left hand tonight in Toronto after he was hit by a sixth-inning pitch in the Yankees’ 11-4 win over the Blue Jays.
Cano finished the game, but he exited the clubhouse immediately after the game with assistant trainer Mark Littlefield, wearing an ice wrap on the hand.
Joe Girardi said he believes Cano will be fine and the Yankees tried to use a fluoroscope machine at Rogers Centre that revealed no issues, but the Yankees would prefer to have an X-ray done elsewhere to make sure. Results are expected in the morning.
“I feel like I look at Robbie and that dude’s made of steel,” Nick Swisher said. “It seems like he plays all the time. Anytime you’re talking about hands, you get a little concerned, but after I saw him staying in the game, I felt a little better.”
ST. PETERSBURG – As if it wasn’t troublesome enough for the Yankees that Robinson Cano couldn’t flag down Chris Gimenez’s go-ahead hit on Monday, the play came with an added dash of injury concern.
Cano said that he felt his left hip grab as he chased Gimenez’s slow roller through the right side of the infield, which gave the Rays a 4-3 eighth-inning lead that they would hold for the victory.
After receiving treatment from head athletic trainer Steve Donohue, Cano said he was not sure if he will be available to play on Tuesday.
“Right when I tried to bend, my left foot just came straight up and I felt my hip,” Cano said. “It will be hopefully just nothing bad. … It’s tight right now. Hopefully nothing bad or anything.”
In Cano’s eighth-inning at-bat, he neglected to run hard out of the box on a line drive to third baseman Evan Longoria, but he said that was unrelated to any injuries. Cano said he simply believed Longoria had caught the line drive on the fly and then started running when he realized that wasn’t the case.
On Gimenez’s go-ahead hit, Cano said that he was trying to reach for the ball and had a good shot at it, but the ball went under his glove. He said that he would have dove for the ball if the play had been tougher, but Cano didn’t think it was necessary at the time.
“If it was every farther, yeah, of course [he would have dove],” Cano said. “You’ve got to keep the ball in the infield, but if you see the replay, [the hip is] why the ball went under my glove.”
As he spoke to reporters on Monday evening, Cano said that he had already iced the hip and that while he is concerned, he does not believe the injury is very serious.
“I didn’t hear anything pop, thank God,” Cano said. “[We'll] see what happens tomorrow.”