Results tagged ‘ Nick Swisher ’
Flight Time and Big Easy of the Harlem Globetrotters stopped by Yankee Stadium on Wednesday afternoon to hang out with the Yankees, and tried to show Alex Rodriguez and Nick Swisher a couple of their tricks.
Not bad, but still, I think the guys will be sticking to their day jobs.
Photos courtesy of Lori Berkowitz.
TORONTO — Welcome, one and all, to the fake grass of Rogers Centre, where the Yankees begin the season’s second half. I, Alden Gonzalez, will be with the club for this eight-game road trip while Bryan Hoch gets some time off.
Today, I was greeted with the signing of lefty reliever J.C. Romero, the call-up of outfielder Greg Golson, the decision to have setup man Rafael Soriano throw one more BP session before going on a rehab assignment, and the confusion of Derek Jeter over criticism for skipping the All-Star Game.
You can find that all on Yankees.com soon, if not now. But here are your lineups, with Nick Swisher making his return (remember, the Yankees play eight straight games on artificial turf, so it’ll be interesting to see how Joe Girardi juggles the off days) …
Pitching: RH Bartolo Colon (6-4, 3.20 ERA)
Pitching: LH Jo-Jo Reyes (4-7, 4.57 ERA)
After Thursday’s victory over the Brewers, Yankees right-hander David Robertson and his wife, Erin, hosted a fundraiser at Yankee Stadium’s Hard Rock Cafe to benefit “High Socks for Hope.”
Proceeds from the event, including a generous donation from Hard Rock, went directly to the David and Erin Robertson Foundation, created to help those affected by devastating tornadoes that hit David’s hometown of Tuscaloosa, Ala. earlier in the year.
CC Sabathia and Nick Swisher were also on hand to lend support:
And Swisher even tried his chops behind the bar:
(Photo Credits: Hard Rock International/Lori Berkowitz)
Some quick-hit items and rumors from around the Yankees, on a day when Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven meet the media in New York as Hall of Famers:
- Could Jeremy Bonderman be on the Yankees’ radar to add starting pitching depth? Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York thinks so. There have been reports of the Yankees’ interest in Bonderman, who was 8-10 with a 5.53 ERA in 30 games (29 starts) for the Tigers last year.
- If Andy Pettitte doesn’t return, Jon Heyman of SI.com believes they will sign free agent Rafael Soriano as a setup man. Cashman had said earlier this winter that he wasn’t inclined to spend closer money on a setup man, but that was in Kerry Wood‘s case — before Cliff Lee came off the board — so perhaps that stance is flexible.
- Cashman told us this week that he’d prefer to sign a starter over a reliever, and the Yankees are also reported to have “a modicum” of interest in Freddy Garcia and Kevin Millwood, according to Heyman.
- Brian Schlitter is the newest Yankee, claimed off waivers from the Cubs on Wednesday. He figures to get a look in Spring Training and might pop up in the Bronx at some point this season. Schlitter had a 12.38 ERA in seven big league outings last year, but had a 3.15 ERA and 13 saves at Triple-A. Here’s a Q&A with Schlitter.
- Nick Swisher will play himself in two episodes of ABC’s ‘Better with You,’ joining his new wife, Joanna Garcia. They’ll be set to air in February.
Good stuff from Pete Caldera today in the Bergen Record, who caught up with Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long via telephone: