Results tagged ‘ Lineup ’
- Hello from Dunedin, where the Yankees and Blue Jays are meeting for the second time this spring. It’s in the mid-70′s without a cloud in the sky, a perfect sunny Florida day, and the flags are lightly blowing in from right-center field while the Spin Doctors’ “Two Princes” plays on the left-center field speakers.
- Slow morning at Yankees camp, but Joe Girardi did have a couple of small tidbits. Lefties Pedro Feliciano and Boone Logan are both being slowed by aches – Feliciano has a little dead arm soreness near his left triceps, and Logan had back spasms after throwing a scoreless inning last night vs. Tampa Bay. Feliciano will throw a bullpen tomorrow; Logan might be out for four or five days.
- Joba Chamberlain is scheduled to throw a bullpen tomorrow.&n
- Girardi promises he’ll have the regular season order of A.J. Burnett and Phil Hughes in the Yankees rotation tomorrow. They’ve gone through camp with Hughes following CC Sabathia.
- Girardi seems to love the idea of having Eric Chavez on the bench. “I think there’s some upside there,” he said. “You watch him swing the bat – I saw him hit a double over the left fielder’s head, he has pull power. We know that he can play defense. He’s an interesting guy to have, for sure.”
- Alex Rodriguez has homered in three straight games, driven in a run in five straight and hit in all 11 of his spring contests. He’s not on today’s trip, though. Last night’s homer outdid Jorge Vazquez for the longest Steinbrenner Field blast of the spring – they don’t offer tape measure distances, but it cleared the center-field batters eye with plenty of room to spare.
- Sergio Mitre returns to action today in relief. They have A.J. Burnett slated for 75-80 pitches.
- There are 13 days until Opening Day.
Pitching: David Hernandez (2-2, 3.94)
Pitching: Andy Pettitte (8-5, 4.85)
Happy St. Patrick’s Day from George M. Steinbrenner Field!
CC Sabathia is scheduled to go four innings under the lights here tonight, working with Jorge Posada for the first time in game action. Posada – making his second appearance behind the plate – is expected to catch five innings. When Sabathia is done, Mariano Rivera will relieve him, pitching his first of eight to 10 spring frames. Tonight’s game is on YES.
Nyjer Morgan LF
Jack Wilson SS
Nate McLouth CF
Garrett Jones 1B
Jose Tabata RF
Steve Pearce DH
Neil Walker 3B
Jason Jaramillo C
Luis Cruz 2B
Virgil Vasquez RHP
NEW YORK YANKEES
Jorge Posada C
Johnny Damon LF
Mark Teixeira 1B
Hideki Matsui DH
Xavier Nady RF
Melky Cabrera RF
Cody Ransom 3B
Ramiro Pena 2B
Eduardo Nunez SS
CC Sabathia LHP
Game notes: Tonight marks the 21st of 37 spring games for the Yankees, and the 19th of their 33-game Grapefruit League slate … Alfredo Aceves and Edwar Ramirez will also pitch for New York … Random facts — the oldest player in camp is Rivera (11/29/69); the youngest player in camp is Eduardo Nunez (6/15/87).
UPDATE 7:05 p.m.: Damaso Marte threw 30 pitches in the bullpen and said he felt “great.” Robinson Cano did some tossing and said he’s on track to play second base on Friday, though it remains unclear if he’ll travel to Fort Myers. With Andy Pettitte and Jorge Posada both staying back to work out in intrasquad games, it might make sense to dispatch Cano across the street to Himes Avenue as well.