Results tagged ‘ Brian Cashman ’
Brian Cashman and his cell phone have been inseparable since the spring, when this rash of injuries started doing some real damage in the Yankees’ clubhouse, and that doesn’t figure to change as the July 31 Trade Deadline approaches.
“Man, I’ve been active already,” Cashman said today on a conference call with reporters. “I feel like up until recently we’ve been getting a new player in here [often] — they weren’t relatively big splashes, but it just feels like from mid-Spring Training on, we’ve been on overdrive mixing and matching stuff. I’m always open for business, if it feels like they’re incremental upgrades or significant ones.”
Cashman has shown that to be true this season — there have been the bigger moves, like trading for Vernon Wells and signing Lyle Overbay as a free agent, but the Yankees have also made tiny tweaks like acquiring infielder Reid Brignac from the Rockies in May because they believed Brignac represented an incremental upgrade over Chris Nelson (who was also acquired from the Rockies in May).
Now, with the First-Year Player Draft in the rear-view mirror, Cashman believes the stage could be set for transactions of a larger magnitude.
“The opportunity for significant upgrade trades obviously don’t usually take place until after the June Draft,” Cashman said. “We’re past that date so I think the atmosphere should be right about there. Activities in terms of conversations have definitely increased where clubs have turned their attention to, ‘All right, what are you guys looking to do, who do you need, who’s available?’
“Every GM is kind of cataloguing the available players and team needs. From that, obviously something can transpire over time with a few more conversations. Listen, because of the injuries that have hit us from the winter and March, we’ve been active and open to try to do something that would make sense for us. I think we’ve done a lot and we’re going to continue to try to do a lot. We’ll see where it takes us.”
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman didn’t escape unscathed from his parachute jump with the Army Golden Knights on Monday, but said that he still considered the event to have been an “awesome experience.”
Cashman’s first jump with the Golden Knights went perfectly at the Homestead Air Force Base, and the GM agreed to go back up for a second jump. That one didn’t go quite as well, and Cashman felt a pop in his ankle upon landing. X-rays revealed he suffered a broken right fibula and a dislocated right ankle, and Cashman is scheduled to have surgery on Monday evening.
“I’m in great spirits, and it was an awesome experience,” Cashman said in a statement released by the Yankees. “The Golden Knights are first class. While I certainly didn’t intend to raise awareness in exactly this fashion, I’m extremely happy that the Wounded Warrior Project is getting the well-deserved additional attention.”
Cashman was participating in the event to help raise awareness for the Wounded Warrior Project.
“It’s an opportunity to do something that a lot of people don’t do or will ever do, so that’s awesome,” Cashman said last week. “It’s called living. But it’s not on my list of something I’ve always wanted to do. I’m kind of excited for the opportunity to do it, but at the same time, big-time nervous about doing it.”
One day after general manager Brian Cashman revealed the Yankees have made “a significant offer” that could keep Robinson Cano in pinstripes, the All-Star second baseman said that he had little more to add to the discussion.
Cano said that he wants to let his agent, Scott Boras, handle any and all negotiations with the Yankees. The 30-year-old Cano is earning $15 million this year and can be a free agent after the season.
“I’m going to say the same thing that I said the other day, I’m just focused on playing baseball,” Cano said on Friday. “I’m going to let Scott and the Yankees discuss that. I’m not an agent. I’m just going to focus on playing baseball.”
Cano refused comment when asked if he and Boras had rejected the Yankees’ offer.
Boras told CBS Sports on Thursday that, by agreement, discussions with the Yankees “shall remain confidential” and “will cease if they are a distraction to Robinson’s performance and leadership of the 2013 Yankees.”
Cano said that he has not found the discussions to be a distraction as he goes through Spring Training. He is preparing to leave Yankees camp on Sunday to report for workouts with the Dominican Republic’s World Baseball Classic squad.
“Like I said, I’m just going to focus on baseball and not let anything get in my head and distract not only me, but the team,” Cano said. “I don’t want to be a selfish guy. I just want to help the team win another championship and just prepare myself to help the team win another championship.”
It has been speculated that Cano could seek an eight to 10 year contract in the arena of $25 million per season he reaches free agency. Cano acknowledged that it can be difficult at times not to think about his contract status.
“It’s never going to go out of your head, that’s all I can say,” Cano said.
Cano said that he would let Boras decide about contract negotiations being cut off if, in fact, they do become a distraction.
“I don’t want to talk about this,” Cano said. “I hope after today, I don’t want to be a distraction to the team. I just want to come here, enjoy the team and focus on playing baseball.”
There were several light moments during last night’s charity event to benefit Yankees radio engineer and producer Carlos Silva, but one that sticks out concerns Mariano Rivera and his not-so-secret desire to play center field for an inning in a big league game.
A fan brought the topic up during the Q&A portion of the evening, and I was a little surprised to hear it — I assumed that’d been put to rest by last year’s injury in Kansas City. Yankees manager Joe Girardi answered the question fairly, pointing out that the only scenario where they’d even consider it would be a bad one for the Yankees — it’d have to be late in the season and already apparent that the team wasn’t going to the playoffs, since they wouldn’t risk losing their closer (again) with any chance of a World Series on the line.
Yankees GM Brian Cashman had a better response, laughing and saying that Rivera killed those plans for himself by crumpling on the warning track at Kauffman Stadium last May.
“My answer is, you saw what he did. He can’t play center field,” Cashman said, laughing. “The guy is an old man! He blew his knee out!”
That doesn’t mean Rivera has completely given up on the idea; brought on stage seconds later, he announced that we all haven’t heard the last of him in center field.
It should go without saying by now, but this Rivera guy doesn’t give up easily. Here’s how Girardi and Cashman handled the question:
More newsy notes from last night:
- Cashman said that the Yankees invited Hideki Matsui to Spring Training as a celebrity guest instructor, but Matsui declined because his wife is expecting a child. By the way, Jorge Posada – fresh off his appearance at Women’s Fantasy Camp – has hinted that he’ll be attending.
- Girardi said that there is “no formula” for how the Yankees will handle their catching, but they’re holding firm that it’ll probably be from the group of Francisco Cervelli, Chris Stewart and Austin Romine. The Yankees don’t view Stewart as a starting catcher, but Girardi said that he could see Romine – who remains slated to begin the year at Triple-A – playing in New York for “a substantial amount of time” in the near future.
- Cashman likened Yankees outfield prospect Mason Williams to former big league outfielder Otis Nixon with a little more power, which is a comparison I hadn’t heard before. He also said that Mark Montgomery has a real chance to land at the big league level this year, wielding a nasty slider that could have him help in a David Robertson-type role.
- Cashman on why the Yankees were so quiet on the free agent market: “This market, this winter, was bad.”
- Cashman on what he liked about adding Travis Hafner: “Big hairy monster. I keep saying that, but none of those guys have a lot of hair. He’s the profile we like; on-base percentage with power from the left side. He’s not someone that when he’s coming to the plate, a pitcher is going to be too comfortable facing, especially in our ballpark.”
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman dropped a little bit of news during an appearance on ESPN 98.7 FM this afternoon, confirming to hosts Ryan Ruocco and Stephen A. Smith that Travis Hafner will indeed be in pinstripes this season.
Hafner is expected to receive a one-year, $2 million deal that includes incentives, and he’ll serve as the Yankees’ DH against right-handed pitching. The deal has not been officially announced by the Yankees, pending the completion of contract language and a physical.
Most of Cashman’s interview, however, revolved around the Alex Rodriguez situation — and there is little Cashman is permitted to say at this time concerning the issue.
Here’s a brief summary (you can listen to the entire 13-minute interview here) –
Initial response to the allegations: Cashman said that the Yankees’ media relations department received a letter last Friday from the Miami New Times, seeking a comment from A-Rod. The Yankees turned the issue over to MLB and the Commissioner’s Office, and have not commented further since then. Cashman said that the Yankees had no knowledge of the situation before receiving the letter, and the team is in full cooperation with MLB. Cashman later said he hasn’t spoken to A-Rod, and wouldn’t comment when asked if he would.
On potentially voiding A-Rod’s contract as a result of this: “Those type of suggestions and speculation are all premature until you have facts. You can’t act on anything, you can’t pursue anything, unless you have verifiable facts. That’s what Major League Baseball is determining. They have an office that handles these things and are very serious about these circumstances. We’ll just have to wait until there are facts, and see how it relates to every individual team and player if everything is verified. Obviously we have a very bad story that Major League Baseball is looking into right now.”
A-Rod in 2013: Cashman said that the Yankees continue to expect A-Rod to come back from his hip surgery in 2013, but his stance is that they’re not counting on it, and that’s why they gave $12 million to Kevin Youkilis. It’s a similar situation to that of rehabbing right-hander Michael Pineda, who is scheduled to help at the big league level in May or June, but Cashman said he can’t plan on it. Pineda has been throwing from a half-mound down in Tampa this week and it does not sound like he’s had any setbacks.
Derek Jeter update: Jeter is healthy and cleared for action, and the Yankees are taking him slowly because they have time. The goal is to have him at shortstop on Opening Day vs. Boston and Cashman said, “There’s no reason that’s not going to happen. he’s really 100 percent healthy and he’s now knocking the rust off.”
Jeter has been hitting off a tee and taking ground balls hit directly at him. Cashman said that the Yankees could clear him to run right now, but they’ll hold off out of caution. “His recovery is very predictable,” Cashman said.