Warren kicks off Yankees’ series at the Trop
The Yankees continue their grand tour of the American League East this evening as Adam Warren gets the ball for the opener of a three-game series at Tropicana Field. Nate Karns draws the start for Tampa Bay. The Rays took the season series against the Yankees in 2014, winning eleven of the 19 meetings.
Here are the quick hits from the Yankees clubhouse:
- Brett Gardner (bruised right wrist) took batting practice this afternoon and said that he is hopeful of getting back on the field, possibly tomorrow. Joe Girardi said that Gardner should be available to pinch-run or play defense, and the Yanks are encouraged that he’ll be back soon.
- Andrew Miller is 2-for-2 in save opportunities, but Girardi again refused to name him as the closer. “We’ll let it play out a little bit and see how this works out. Obviously in this situation, you would think about against Tampa – because they have so many right-handed hitters in the lineup – that you’d use Dellin (Betances) more for four or five outs more than you would Miller.”
- Girardi said the Yanks are considering using a sixth starter at some point as they kick off this stretch of 30 games in 31 days. The upcoming series at Detroit would be their earliest possible opportunity. Girardi mentioned Bryan Mitchell and Chase Whitley as likely candidates. They could also use Esmil Rogers.
- Masahiro Tanaka, who makes his third start of the season tomorrow, said that “arm strength is something you build throughout the season, so that’s what I’m trying to do right now.” He rejected the suggestion that he should have thrown more in Spring Training, and Girardi said the Yankees brought Tanaka along slowly because they wanted to be cautious and try to get 30 to 32 starts out of him.
- More on Tanaka from Girardi: “His average velocity is down less than a mile than it was last year. As far as throwing him more in Spring Training, look, we were going to make sure that he was ready to go. I think that because it’s a long year and we want him to make 32 starts. We didn’t necessarily want him to make six starts and be more ready his first start and that’s all we’ve got.”
- Ivan Nova threw 20 pitches of live BP today in Tampa, his second time doing that. Girardi said that Nova will next throw a simulated game and his first game action has been tentatively outlined for May 1.
- Brendan Ryan did not accompany the team to Tampa. He’s expected to get down here next week.
- Jose Pirela batted against Chris Capuano this week and is expected to get into Extended Spring Training games on Monday.
Here are the lineups:
Jacoby Ellsbury CF
Chase Headley 3B
Carlos Beltran RF
Mark Teixeira 1B
Brian McCann C
Alex Rodriguez DH
Stephen Drew 2B
Chris Young LF
Didi Gregorius SS
Adam Warren RHP (0-1, 1.69)
Kevin Kiermaier CF
Steven Souza Jr. RF
Asdrubal Cabrera SS
Evan Longoria DH
Desmond Jennings LF
Allan Dykstra 1B
Logan Forsythe 3B
Tim Beckham 2B
Bobby Wilson C
Nathan Karns RHP (1-1, 4.97)