Game 58: Yankees vs. Athletics
Good evening from Yankee Stadium, where the Yankees and Athletics will play the second game of their three-game series tonight. There is some rain in the forecast once again. Left-hander Vidal Nuno will make the start for the Yankees and right-hander Jesse Chavez is on the mound for the Athletics.
Nuno took the loss in his last start, serving up four runs – and three homers – to the Twins, but hung in to help out the bullpen by giving them 6 2/3 innings. Chavez has lost his last two outings; he logged a quality start last time out against the Tigers, allowing three runs and eight hits in six innings.
Here are the quick hits from tonight’s Yankees.com notebook:
- Carlos Beltran has experienced no further issues with his right elbow and could rejoin the Yankees’ lineup as a designated hitter on Thursday, manager Joe Girardi said. Beltran played his third Extended Spring Training game at the club’s Tampa, Fla. complex on Wednesday morning and traveled to New York, according to Girardi, who is hopeful that Beltran will be ready to be activated from the disabled list.
- Wade LeBlanc joined the Yankees’ bullpen on Wednesday and will serve as a long reliever, replacing Alfredo Aceves, who was designated for assignment. LeBlanc had been with Triple-A Salt Lake in the Halos’ system, where he was 5-1 with a 3.69 ERA in nine starts. The Yankees also recalled right-hander Jose Ramirez from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Wednesday, optioning right-hander Preston Claiborne to Triple-A.
- Shawn Kelley threw about 25 pitches in a simulated game on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium and has been cleared for a Minor League rehabilitation assignment with Double-A Trenton, beginning on Saturday. It is possible that Kelley could be activated from the disabled list to re-join the Yankees’ bullpen on Monday in Kansas City. He said that he felt strong in the session, in which he threw to Kelly Johnson and Scott Sizemore.
- Mark Teixeira felt good after returning to the Yankees’ lineup with a home run, single and two RBIs on Tuesday, according to manager Joe Girardi. Teixeira told Girardi there was no soreness in his right wrist.
- CC Sabathia played catch on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium, a positive step as he works back from an injection in his ailing right knee. Sabathia made 25 tosses on flat ground and 60 feet. The Yankees have said that Sabathia will not return before July.
Here are tonight’s lineups:
Craig Gentry CF
Jesse Chavez RHP (4-3, 2.78)
Brett Gardner LF
Vidal Nuno LHP (1-2, 5.48)