Game 18: Yankees at Rays
The Yankees will try to bounce back from yesterday’s bullpen debacle tonight here at Tropicana Field, playing the third game of a four-game series with the Rays. Ivan Nova and hard-throwing Chris Archer comprise the pitching matchup, with first pitch scheduled for 7:10 p.m. ET. The game is on YES and WFAN.
Here’s what you need to know…
- Matt Daley is here and available in the bullpen. The right-hander is replacing Cesar Cabral, who hit three batters in a terrible outing last night and was then designated for assignment by the Yankees.
“I think that everyone knows that when you come here, winning is the only thing, really,” Daley said. “I know that they like him a lot, they kept him around for a couple of years and he’s a great guy. That’s the way baseball goes sometimes.”
Daley was 1-1 with a save and a 5.40 ERA in four Triple-A appearances this year, and his strikeout numbers have jumped. He had 13 batters in five innings, with one walk.
- Mark Teixeira went 2-for-4 with a walk and a double in a Minor League game today, playing seven innings in the field, and expects to be activated from the 15-day disabled list on Sunday – the first day that he is eligible.
- Also in Tampa, David Robertson threw 16 pitches in one inning of work. He is eligible to come off the disabled list on Tuesday, when the Yankees open a three-game series against the Red Sox at Fenway Park.
- Girardi said that he is not sure who the Yankees will trim from their roster to make room for Teixeira. Infielders Scott Sizemore and Dean Anna both have Minor League options and are possibilities.
- Carlos Beltran said that his sore left shoulder and right wrist are improving after Friday’s tumble over a short wall in right field at Tropicana Field, and the slugger returned to the Yankees’ lineup as the designated hitter. He’s hoping to play the outfield tomorrow.
- Derek Jeter was not in the Yankees’ lineup on Saturday. Girardi said that he did not want to play Jeter four straight games on artificial turf, and chose to rest him against Archer with left-hander Cesar Ramos throwing for the Rays on Sunday. Anna made the start at shortstop in Jeter’s place.
- David Phelps is sporting a bruise on his stomach after being hit by Ryan Hanigan’s line drive in the seventh inning of Saturday’s 11-5 loss to the Rays, but Phelps is available to pitch.
Here are tonight’s lineups:
Jacoby Ellsbury CF
Ivan Nova RHP (2-1, 5.94)
David DeJesus CF
Chris Archer RHP (1-1, 4.50)