Eric Chavez reports to camp
Eric Chavez isn’t officially on the Yankees’ roster, but he’s doing a pretty good impersonation of someone who is. Chavez stopped by Steinbrenner Field this morning and was spotted wearing a Yankees t-shirt, dropping off a few things at a locker that has his name on it.
It’s pretty safe to say that he’s on the team. Chavez grinned and said, “Officially, I’m nothing.”
Chavez said that it took a while to hammer out his one-year, $900,000 deal with the Yankees, but he’s happy that it was completed. Chavez said he might have contemplated retirement if the Yankees weren’t interested, but they were, along with a few unnamed teams. Chavez said he was only willing to seriously consider the Yankees.
“The beginning of the offseason for me was very relaxed, but then over the last three weeks, it took a long time,” Chavez said. “I’m happy the way things worked out. The team looks fantastic. It looks like we’re in good position to win a lot of ballgames.”
The day at camp
It looks like a little bit of a light day on the pitching front. Here are the bullpen assignments:
- Group 1: Juan Cedeno (Gustavo Molina), Manny Delcarmen (Francisco Cervelli), Mike O’Connor (Jose Gil), Clay Rapada (Russell Martin).
- Group 2: Adam Miller (Austin Romine), Ryan Pope (Gary Sanchez), Kevin Whelan (Kyle Higashioka).
- Throwing program: Joba Chamberlain, Matt Daley, Pedro Feliciano, Brad Meyers, Mariano Rivera.
And the hitting groups:
- Group 1: David Adams, Andruw Jones, Justin Maxwell.
- Group 2: Cervelli, Martin, Molina, Romine.
- Group 3: Gil, Higashioka, Murphy, Sanchez.