Posada still planning on retirement
Jorge Posada was at a fundraiser for Derek Jeter’s Turn 2 Foundation at the Hard Rock Casino and Hotel in Tampa, Fla. on Wednesday and said that he hasn’t reconsidered his retirement, which has not been officially announced.
A quick preview, via MLB.com’s Adam Berry:
“I’m not getting prepared for another season, that’s for sure,” Posada said. “I tried, and it’s not in me. … More and more days started going by, and nothing’s going in the right direction.”
The 40-year-old five-time All-Star said he will talk it over with his family and wait a couple of weeks before officially announcing his retirement, but he is “content [with] my decision that’s going to happen here soon.”
Posada admitted he is still fighting the realization that he won’t be playing another year. Although he isn’t bitter about the way his final season with the Yankees played out, he said it “wasn’t a comfortable situation.” Posada struggled throughout the 2011 season, posting a batting line of .235/.315/.398 as he transitioned to being a full-time DH and often found himself out of the starting lineup.
The Yankees’ decision to trade Jesus Montero, who previously figured to take over for Posada as the club’s designated hitter, didn’t impact Posada’s impending retirement, he said.
Asked about preparing for a season without his longtime friend and teammate, Jeter acknowledged that it will be difficult.
“I’ve played with him since I was 18 years old,” Jeter said. “It’s going to be kind of odd. … Sometimes you’ve got to move on.”
Adam’s full story will be on MLB.com and Yankees.com shortly.