Game 47: Yankees vs. Blue Jays
Greetings from Yankee Stadium, on what has turned out to be a nice little steamy preview of summer in the Bronx, as the Yankees play the second game of a three-game series with the Blue Jays and try to get a little something going at home.
This ballpark has been pretty good to the Yankees since the doors opened in 2009, but thus far in 2011 they’ve actually played two games over .500 both at home (15-13) and on the road (10-8). They’ll try to clinch a winning homestand with ace CC Sabathia on the mound tonight.
“CC is the kind of guy that, a lot of days, can give your bullpen pretty much the whole day off,” Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. “That’s important during the course of the season. He’s pitched really well for us. He doesn’t have the wins that he deserves, but he’s pitched really well for us.”
Girardi said that he considers Jose Bautista, batting third for Toronto with a MLB-leading 19 homers, among the elite hitters in the game today. He said that there are definitely going to be situations where the Yankees pitch around Bautista.
“When you look at Bautista, he’s the guy that you can’t let beat you in that lineup,” Girardi said.
Here are the lineups:
BLUE JAYS (24-23)
Yunel Escobar SS
Corey Patterson LF
Jose Bautista RF
Juan Rivera 1B
J.P. Arencibia C
Aaron Hill 2B
Edwin Encarnacion DH
Rajai Davis CF
John McDonald 3B
Pitching: Ricky Romero LHP (4-4, 3.10 ERA)
Derek Jeter DH
Curtis Granderson CF
Mark Teixeira 1B
Alex Rodriguez 3B
Robinson Cano 2B
Russell Martin C
Nick Swisher RF
Brett Gardner LF
Eduardo Nunez SS
Pitching: CC Sabathia LHP (4-3, 3.06 ERA)
- First pitch: 7:05 p.m. ET // TV: MY9 & MLB Network
- ALEXCELLENT: 3B Alex Rodriguez is batting .484 (15-for-31) with 7R, 1 double, 3HR, 4RBI, 1BB and five multi-hit contests in his last seven games.
- GRAND PLANS: CF Curtis Granderson is second in the Majors with 16HR (Jose Bautista-19)…has 30HR since 8/14/10, marking the second-most HR in the Majors over the span (Bautista-37)…did not hit his 16th HR in 2010 until 9/2/10 vs. Oakland in his 109th game (when he also hit No. 17)…is averaging 1HR per 10.81AB in 2011, the second-best ratio in the Majors (Bautista-1HR/7.32AB).
- Hit his Major League-leading eighth HR off LHP this season in Saturday’s win vs. the Mets…no other LH batter has more than 3HR off LHP in 2011…Granderson has hit his 8HR in just 48 at-bats off LHP in 2011, surpassing his previous career best of 5HR vs. LHP in 2008 (in 147AB)…had 4HR in 158AB off lefties in 2010.
- THE END ALL: RHP Mariano Rivera pitched in his 999th career game in Wednesday’s win at Baltimore…with his next appearance, will become the 15th pitcher all time to reach the 1,000 appearance plateau and the first to reach the total with one team (credit: Elias).
- SKIPPING AHEAD: Manager Joe Girardi has 312 career wins as Yankees manager and needs one win to tie Buck Showalter (313) for eighth place on the franchise’s all-time managerial wins list.