Swisher “sore” after foul ball
Nick Swisher was hobbled after his at-bat in the sixth inning Wednesday, fouling a pitch off his left instep while batting against the Blue Jays’ Jo Jo Reyes.
- Girardi said that the Yankees want Golson to go to Minor League camp and get more at-bats just in case Curtis Granderson isn’t ready for the season to start. Golson was sidelined from March 7 until Tuesday with an oblique strain of his own.
- Freddy Garcia gets the ball in a Minor League game Thursday afternoon at 1 p.m., though Girardi said there isn’t much Garcia can do to change the opinions of his bid for a rotation slot. “I think we have a pretty good feel on what Freddy can do,” he said. Jesus Montero will catch Garcia.
- Alex Rodriguez had two more hits, including a double, and is batting .429 this spring.
- Asked for his most impressive performers of camp, Girardi named lefty Manny Banuelos among the youngsters, and Bartolo Colon as the most impressive veteran. He also complimented the jumps Melky Mesa has been getting in center field.
- The Yankees claimed left-hander Jose Ortegano off waivers from the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday and optioned him to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He will report to Minor League camp. In 2010 with Triple-A Gwinnett and Single-A Myrtle Beach, he combined to go 5-15 with a 5.98 ERA.
- A.J. Burnett allowed four runs in 5 2/3 innings on Wednesday pitching to a lineup of Class-A Phillies batters. He surrendered six hits, walked three and struck out eight in a 94-pitch outing, throwing to Austin Romine.
- Steve Garrison and Ryan Pope were optioned to Double-A Trenton. Eric Wordekemper was reassigned to Minor League camp after Wednesday’s game.