March 6, 2011, 1:05 p.m. ET – Osceola County Stadium – Kissimmee, Fla.
TV: None / Radio: None
Derek Jeter SS, Russell Martin C, Mark Teixeira 1B, Alex Rodriguez 3B, Robinson Cano 2B, Andruw Jones LF, Eric Chavez DH, Colin Curtis RF, Greg Golson CF
Starting pitcher: Phil Hughes RHP (0-0, 0.00 ERA this spring)
Also scheduled to pitch: Steve Garrison, Brian Anderson, Eric Wordekemper, David Phelps
Jason Bourgeois CF, Clint Barmes SS, Hunter Pence RF, Carlos Lee LF, Bill Hall 2B, Jason Michaels DH, Matt Downs 3B, Brian Dopirak 1B, Humberto Quintero C
Starting pitcher: Brett Myers RHP (0-0, 0.00 ERA this spring)
Also scheduled to pitch: Brandon Lyon, Jeff Fulchino, Fernando Abad, Gustavo Chacin, Fernando Rodriguez, Wesley Wright, Henry Villar
- After some overnight showers, the tarp is off the field here in Kissimmee and we will have baseball this afternoon. Partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the low 70′s, with the flags whipping out in right-center field.
- This is Phil Hughes’ second start of the spring, as the beat writers may try to top our world record – set five days ago – for asking questions about a changeup within a 10-minute interview. Actually, we probably
won’t, but you never know.
- Jorge Vazquez may still be an outside contender for a corner infield backup job – you get the sense the Yankees would much rather have a healthy Eric Chavez on March 31 – but he has opened eyes with his bat. Vazquez is hitting .583 (7-for-12) with four extra-base hits (two homers, two doubles) and leads the Yankees with 5 RBIs this spring.
- Alex Rodriguez has doubled in all four of his games this spring and has four two-baggers total.
- Jesus Montero iced his right hand after being clipped with a foul tip and is fine. He’s on this trip.
- Mariano Rivera, the oldest player in Yankees camp, threw a bullpen today to one of the youngest – Kyle Higashioka. The youngest player, 19-year-old Manny Banuelos, also threw to ‘Higgy,’ as did Bartolo Colon.
- Happy 25th birthday to Francisco Cervelli. Not only does he share it with Astros infielder Clint Barmes, but March 6 is also the big day for Shaquille O’Neal, Willie Stargell, Ed McMahon and Michelangelo (the artist, not the Ninja Turtle).
- There are 25 days until Opening Day.