March 5, 2011, 1:05 p.m. ET – George M. Steinbrenner Field – Tampa, Fla.
TV: None / Radio: WCBS
Jerry Hairston, Jr. CF, Ian Desmond SS, Ryan Zimmerman 3B, Michael Morse RF, Ivan Rodriguez C, Derek Norris DH, Chris Marrero 1B, Jeff Frazier LF, Brian Bixler 2B
Starting pitcher: Chad Gaudin RHP (0-0, 6.00 ERA this spring)
Also scheduled to pitch: Craig Stammen, J.D. Martin, Sean Burnett, Tim Wood
Brett Gardner LF, Nick Swisher RF, Curtis Granderson CF, Jorge Posada DH, Eric Chavez 3B, Jesus Montero C, Eduardo Nunez 2B, Jorge Vazquez 1B, Ramiro Pena SS
Starting pitcher: CC Sabathia LHP (0-0, 0.00 ERA this spring)
Also scheduled to pitch: Joba Chamberlain, David Robertson, Boone Logan, Ryan Pope, Romulo Sanchez
- We’re back with the quick turnaround, a day game after a night game here at The Boss. There are cloudy skies – not a ray of sunshine to be seen – and the wind is whipping the center-field flags briskly toward left field.
- Francisco Cervelli hobbled into the clubhouse this morning on crutches, wearing a walking boot. He said that he was depressed yesterday but is more chipper today, vowing that he’ll continue to work hard to get back on the field as quickly as he can. Bad news – tomorrow is Cervelli’s birthday. He hasn’t had much luck in Spring Trainings: in 2008 he broke his wrist, in 2009 he had pneumonia, in 2010 he got a concussion and now he’s broken his foot. “I think I’m going to change my birthday now,” he said.
- Nats phenom Bryce Harper is on the trip and is scheduled to sub in during the game.
- Alex Rodriguez leads the Grapefruit League with four doubles.
- Last night’s game vs. the Red Sox drew 11,325 fans, a George M. Steinbrenner Field record.
- Current Nats who have worn pinstripes: Chien-Ming Wang, Ivan Rodriguez, Jerry Hairston Jr., Chad Gaudin, Alberto Gonzalez, Tyler Clippard.
- There are 26 days until Opening Day.