Feb. 27, 2011, 1:05 p.m. ET – Bright House Field – Clearwater, Fla.
TV: YES / Radio: None
Brett Gardner LF, Nick Swisher RF, Curtis Granderson CF, Jorge Posada DH, Eric Chavez 1B, Jesus Montero C, Eduardo Nunez 2B, Ronnie Belliard 3B, Ramiro Pena SS
Starting pitcher: Ivan Nova RHP (1-2, 4.50 ERA in 2010)
Also scheduled to pitch: Sergio Mitre, Boone Logan, Dellin Betances, Adam Warren
Jimmy Rollins SS, Shane Victorino CF, Raul Ibanez LF, Ryan Howard 1B, Placido Polanco 3B, Domonic Brown RF, Ben Francisco DH, Carlos Ruiz C, Wilson Valdez 2B
Starting pitcher: Joe Blanton RHP (9-6, 4.82 ERA in 2010)
Also scheduled to pitch: Justin De Fratus, Michael Schwimer, Ryan Madson, J.C. Romero, Brad Lidge
- Joe Girardi said he plans to give Ivan Nova and Sergio Mitre, both contenders for rotation spots, two innings apiece this afternoon. As far as his bid for the slot goes, Girardi said, “The stuff is there.” They’d like to see Nova improve at getting out of trouble when he gets into it, but there’s probably not a whole lot they’ll be able to gather on that subject today.
- A.J. Burnett, Freddy Garcia and Romulo Sanchez threw over at George M. Steinbrenner Field this morning. Burnett and Garcia sat down to simulate throwing two innings. Girardi said all three looked good and used all of their pitches.
- Mark Teixeira said his right big toe is bruised, a day after being hit by a pitch.
- The Yankees were still buzzing about Jorge Vazquez’s tape-measure home run that cleared the center-field batters eye at Steinbrenner Field. Girardi said that it is possible that Vazquez could work his way into the mix that the Yankees are considering Eric Chavez for, a backup corner infielder.
- Chavez is playing first base today because, as Girardi said, he already knows Chavez can play third base. All those Gold Gloves aren’t just for show.
- There are 32 days until Opening Day.