Hello from under the sloping, oatmeal colored roof of Tropicana Field, where the Yankees have their first chance to reclaim first place in the American League East after losing their grip on it last night with a 1-0, 11-inning loss to Tampa Bay.
This marks just the second time since June 20 that the Yankees have not sat atop the division, having slipped a game back of Tampa Bay on August 4. Other than that, it’s been the Yankees to hold, although the Rays and Bombers have been within 2 1/2 games of each other in each of the last 49 games.
Here are tonight’s lineups —
Derek Jeter SS, Curtis Granderson CF, Mark Teixeira 1B, Alex Rodriguez 3B, Robinson Cano 2B, Lance Berkman DH, Austin Kearns LF, Colin Curtis RF, Francisco Cervelli C
RHP Ivan Nova (1-0, 2.92)
John Jaso C, Ben Zobrist 2B, Carl Crawford LF, Evan Longoria 3B, Matt Joyce RF, Dan Johnson DH, Carlos Pena 1B, B.J. Upton CF, Reid Brignac SS
RHP Matt Garza (14-8, 3.68 ERA)
A few Yankee doodles for you from tonight’s official Game Information file:
- EXTRA, EXTRA: The Yankees fell to 4-5 in extra-inning games this season following Monday’s loss at Tampa Bay…have dropped their last three extra-inning games on the road and have dropped four of their seven extra-inning affairs away from Yankee Stadium this season…the Yankees’ nine extra-inning games are the fewest for any Major League team in 2010…fell to 1-5 in extra-inning games all time at Tropicana Field.
- HEAD SCRATCHERS: The Yankees have suffered five “walk-off” losses this season, one more than their total from 2009…have endured three such losses in their last four games, including back-to-back such defeats on Friday and Saturday at Texas (the Yankees’ first back-to-back “walk-off” losses since 5/15-16/01 at Oakland)…the Yankees last suffered three “walk-off” losses in the same road trip in 2003, losing three games (7/26 at Boston, 8/1 and 8/3 at Oakland) in “walk-off” fashion over a nine-game stretch away from the Bronx.
- CLOSE CALLS: Of the Yankees’ 70 road games this season, 42 have been decided by three runs or less including 16 of the last 19 and 18 of the last 23…12 of the Yankees’ last 19 road contests have been decided by one run with the Yankees going 4-8 in those games…the Yankees are 16-16 in one-run contests in 2010, including an 11-12 mark away from Yankee Stadium…eight of the Yankees’ last 12 road losses have been by one run.
- TAMPA CHAMPS: Single-A Tampa secured their second straight Florida State League championship last night with a 9-0 win vs. the Charlotte Stone Crabs (TB affiliate)…marked the fifth FSL title for Tampa as they became the first team to repeat as champs since the 1975-76 Lakeland Flying Tigers.
- Double-A Trenton will play in the Eastern League championship series vs. Altoona beginning tonight…is the third time in the last four years the Thunder will play for the EL title, winning back-to-back championships in 2007-08.