Handicapping the fifth starter race
Joe Girardi is planning on meeting for “healthy discussions” tomorrow about the fifth starter competition, and a decision appears to be coming up for Thursday or Friday at the latest.
“We’re going to discuss it in the next couple of days,” Girardi said. “We’ve got to start to iron some things out because we’re running out of innings and we’ve talked about wanting a decision to get the guys in the bullpen.”
It’s always possible that the Yankees could want to see a more starts from their contenders, especially Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes, but it also stands to reason that – at this point – the Yankees know exactly what they have and don’t need any more data to sway their choices.
If that’s the case, then here are the resume bullet points for each of the five pitchers:
Alfredo Aceves, 28, RHP
- Grapefruit League: 1-1, 3.77 ERA in four games (two starts); 14.1 IP, 8 H, 6 ER, 1 HR, 1 BB, 7 SO
- 2009: Was 10-1 with one save and a 3.54 ERA in 43 appearances (one start).
- Last outing: Charged with 5 ER in 4 1/3 IP vs. the Astros in Kissimmee.
- Quote to note: “It’s part of the game. It’s baseball. You always keep
the bad and the good things. You just fix it to the next game, those
details. … I don’t want to use that word, ‘happy.’ But so far, it’s been a good Spring Training — for everybody.” – Aceves.
Joba Chamberlain, 24, RHP
- Grapefruit League: 0-0, 16.20 ERA in three games (one start); 6.2 IP, 10 H, 12 ER, 1 HR, 7 BB, 5 SO.
- 2009: Was 9-6 with a 4.75 ERA in 32 appearances (31 starts).
- Last outing: Allowed 2 ER in 5 IP vs. Yankees intrasquad in Tampa
- Quote to note: “I’ve just been in a routine. It’s just one of
those questions you’re faced with every day. It’s human nature when you
get asked every day to think about it, so it’s just something where
I’ve gone back to having fun. I’m just enjoying being out here, putting
this uniform on and competing with these guys.”- Chamberlain.
Chad Gaudin, 27, RHP
- Grapefruit League: 0-3, 8.38 ERA in four games (two starts); 9.1 IP, 16 H, 9 ER, 2 HR, 5 BB, 5 SO. Has been placed on waivers by Yankees, according to a report.
- 2009: Was 5-10 with a 4.76 ERA as a starter in 2009 with the Padres and Yankees
- Last outing: Allowed 4 R (3 ER) in 2.1 IP vs. the Rays in Port Charlotte
- Quote to note: “It’s not that I’m not competing, I’m trying to feel a rhythm. Sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not. It’s
inconsistent. But [Friday], I didn’t get the job done. No excuses.”- Gaudin.
Phil Hughes, 23, RHP
- Grapefruit League: 0-2, 4.15 ERA in four games (one start); 13.0 IP, 12 H, 6 ER, 5 HR, 2 BB, 10 SO.
- 2009: Was 8-3 with three saves and a 3.03 ERA in 51 appearances (seven starts).
- Last outing: Allowed 4 ER in 4.1 IP vs. the Phillies in Clearwater
- Quote to note: “I’ve done all I can do. We’ll just have to see where
they want to go from here. … I’ve kind of learned around here just to
roll with the punches. What you say isn’t going to affect anything. You
just have to go out and do the best you can, and see what decisions
come from it.” – Hughes.
Sergio Mitre, 29, RHP
- Grapefruit League: 0-0, 3.21 ERA in four games (two starts); 14.0 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 14 SO.
- 2009: Was 3-3 with a 6.79 ERA in 12 appearances (nine starts)
- Last outing: Allowed 2 R in 5 IP vs. the Rays in Port Charlotte
- Quote to note: “I would think he’s probably pretty healed. He had the
offseason to rest, and I think part of it is just the constant grind.
Having the offseason, I think he’s probably where he’s going to be.
It’s probably nice for him to feel much better after every start.” – Girardi.