A-Rod: “Nothing new”
Some short notes and updates from the Yankees’ clubhouse this morning before I fill up the Toyota and scoot over to Clearwater, Fla. to pick up a cheesesteak at Phillies camp:
- Alex Rodriguez said there is “nothing new” regarding the request he received to speak with federal investigators. It seems like that could be the case for a brief while, though they have already spoken with Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran of the Mets.
- It’s still up in the air whether Joba Chamberlain will be healthy enough to pitch on Friday. He hadn’t reported to camp when we spoke with Joe Girardi this morning, so there was no update yet on his health. The Yankees sent infielder Kevin Russo home for another day, trying to kill this flu bug before it spreads to the rest of their clubhouse. “Drink your orange juice” was Girardi’s advice to the beat writers.
- Royce Ring has left the team. His wife went into labor yesterday.
- Austin Romine and Zach McAllister have won the Kevin Lawn awards for 2009. (I’ll be writing a full story on this later today with quotes from both players.)
- Today’s lineup @ PHI: Gardner CF, Johnson DH, Posada C, Cano 2B, Swisher RF, Winn LF, Miranda 1B, Pena SS, Laird 3B, Sabathia LHP.
- Sabathia is scheduled to be followed by Mark Melancon, Boone Logan, Kei Igawa, Zach McAllister, Ivan Nova and Romulo Sanchez. Roy Halladay will start for the Phillies, followed by former Yankee Jose Contreras.