Miranda hurts elbow in winter ball
Just a brief note on Juan Miranda to share, via MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez, who e-mailed me the following information:
Miranda said that he hurt his right elbow three weeks ago in the Winter Leagues and has been out of action for about a week. He’s in the Dominican Republic right now, and hurt it when a runner slid into him, missed a week, then tried to play three games and decided he should stay off it. Miranda has no fractures, just soreness.
It seems like no one has given it a whole lot of thought, but there’s a chance that Miranda could be a dark horse candidate to see time as the Yankees’ DH next season. The organization likes him as a hitter (2009 at Triple-A: .290 BA, 19 HRs, 82 RBIs, .866 OPS) and he could get a good look in Spring Training depending on what the roster situation looks like.
Here are some Yankees Winter League updates:
– INF Juan Miranda has appeared in 11 games with the Tigres del Licey of the DWL and is batting .425 (17-for-40) with 4 doubles, 2HR and 11RBI.
– RHP Ivan Nova is 1-0 with a 1.05 ERA in five games (4GS) with the Leones del Escogido of the DWL…has recorded 17K and allowed just 3ER in 25.2IP.
– INF Reegie Corona has hit safely in eight of his last 10 games, hitting .389 (14-for-36) with seven doubles, 2HR and 6RBI over the stretch with the Navegantes del Magallanes of the VWL.
– C Francisco Cervelli is batting .214 (3-for-14) in six games with the Cardenales de Lara of the VWL.
– OF Colin Curtis, with the Surprise Rafters of the AFL, batted .397 (31-for-78) with 5HR and 18RBI…finished the season as the league leader in slugging percentage (.731) and ranked second in both on-base percentage (.472) and batting average…hit safely in 17 of his 20 games played.
– RHP Ian Kennedy went 2-1 with a 4.25 ERA in seven starts (29.2IP) with the Rafters…led the AFL in innings pitched, ranked second in strikeouts (28) and tied for second in games started.
– INF Brandon Laird, also with Surprise, hit .333 (30-for-90) with 15 extra-base hits (9 doubles, 6HR) and 24RBI…finished tied for second in the league in HR, tied for third in both doubles and extra-base hits and ranked fifth in RBI.