Rain in the Bronx
The tarpaulin is on the field and it doesn’t look like the A’s and Yankees are about to get started anytime soon. It definitely wasn’t a good sign that Nick Swisher and Johnny Damon were settling in for a card game when the clubhouse closed to reporters at 6 p.m. ET.
The biggest tidbit of pre-game news is that Chien-Ming Wang went for a second opinion on his right shoulder, visiting with Dr. David Altchek yesterday. Dr. Chris Ahmad was due to arrive at Yankee Stadium to discuss those findings with Brian Cashman later tonight, and Wang admitted that he is more worried now that the prospect of surgery is looming.
UPDATE 7:32 p.m.: The Yankees just made an announcement. It’s not much. “We do not know if the current conditions will allow us to commence play.” But they think there’s a chance (“So you’re tellin’ me there’s a chance!“) so we’ll keep on waiting.
UPDATE 7:58 p.m.: “While we hope to play tonight’s game and will provide updates during the course of this rain delay, presently we do not know whether the current conditions will permit us to commence play. As always, thank you for your patience.”