Wang to start opener; Nady leading right field battle
Quick notes here:
– Chien-Ming Wang is scheduled to start the April 3 exhibition at Yankee Stadium. The April 4 pitching duties will be shared by A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte.
– If the season were to start today, Joe Girardi said Xavier Nady would be his right fielder.
– Derek Jeter is headed back after Team USA’s loss. Joe Girardi said he didn’t know when Jeter was getting to town, but he’s likely to play Thursday against the Phillies.
– Ramiro Pena is “in the mix” for the utility infielder job, Girardi said. But as of right now you’d have to think it’s Angel Berroa’s job to lose. Girardi said he’d like to have the team set by March 29.
– Really no news on A-Rod. Girardi said he got a text message from Rodriguez that said he was riding a bike and swimming a lot, and that things are going well. The Yankees don’t expect to see A-Rod in Tampa before April 1.
– There were two giant 35-pound boxes by the door of the Yankees clubhouse, marked “C.C. Fan Mail.” They were being shipped home to Vallejo, Calif.