The light is still on for Pettitte
If you tuned out a few months ago on Andy Pettitte and just rejoined us … you didn’t miss much. The Yankees and Pettitte’s representatives are still talking.
You probably know the particulars by now: Pettitte has been reluctant to accept a one-year, $10.5 million deal because of the pay cut it represents from the $16 million he earned in each of the last two seasons.
But he said repeatedly last year that his choice is to help the Yankees move across the street (as recently as December in this video interview) and that he does not see himself pitching in another uniform.
Other clubs seem to agree. Astros owner Drayton McLane said Friday he did not see his club entering the stalled negotiations for Pettitte, telling the Associated Press that the Astros are “pretty well set” but “it’s a long time until Spring Training.”
Until further notice, Brian Cashman has said the Yankees would enter the spring selecting a fifth starter from the group of Phil Hughes, Alfredo Aceves, Ian Kennedy, Phil Coke and non-roster invitee Jason Johnson.